* Text editors: Notepad or Text Edit, which manipulates the HTML directly within the editor program.
* WYSIWYG editors: Microsoft FrontPage and Macromedia Dream weaver that edit the site by a GUI interface and the editor software generate the underlying HTML automatically.
* Template-based editors: Rapid weaver and iWeb which permit users to promptly create and upload websites to a server without having the prior knowledge of anything about HTML, as they just select a required template from a palette and add text and pictures to it in a DTP-like fashion without ever having to see any HTML code.
Unless the web site designers edit the pages manually, static web pages cannot be changed. As soon as they are added to the site, they are changed on the web automatically. In general any changes in a document remove the earlier versions of the pages from the web.
The average website is collection of documents written in the HTML code or language. The HTML code for "The Standard Website" is static. It means the user have to see the exact same content every time if he reloads a static website. The user can download the code into a browser and interrupt but he cannot rewrite it as its content is written directly by an author.
Advantages of static websites
* As fewer pages are needed therefore cheaper to implement on a smaller scale .
* As there is no need for any management system therefore good for smaller companies.
* As you are not restricted to any template layout therefore more flexibility is available .
Disadvantages of static websites
* As any changes have to be made to web pages individually therefore more expensive to maintain in the long term.
* As if the person with web skills could fall ill or leave increases risk to business because the site can no longer be maintained effectively.
* If changes need to be made then this is only possible where the editor tool is installed because management is restricted to one machine.
* Website editors need significant skills and training to develop the website to modern day practises and standards because this is expensive, ongoing and time consuming.
Posted from http://www.smartads.info/